Friday, November 28, 2008

Sunway Hotel Georgetown

In my recent visit to Penang, I stayed in Sunway Hotel Georgetown. This 4 star hotel is always my first choice when staying at Penang Island. This is my second stay at this hotel. My first stay was about 3 years ago.

Sunway Hotel is strategically loacted at New Lane, Off Macalister Road. I saw this signboard at the ferry terminal. I doubt it is 2km away from the ferry terminal as I walked here to the hotel (about 20 minutes walk) on several occasions in my recent trip to Penang.

An overview of how the hotel looks like from the outside.

The lobby was spacious and the check in counter can be spotted rather easily. Check in is efficient and without issue. There were new faces at the reception counter as the previous receptionist who checked me in last time was no longer around.

There is also a Lobby Shop which is actually a mini convenience store. A travel agent is also available for tour and etc beside the convenience store. There is also a jewellery display at a corner.

The hotel's welcoming folder is rather useful as it also include map for the guest, in case they get lost when exploring the city.

Inside the welcoming folder are the door key card, breakfast coupon and a welcoming drink coupon.

This placard in the elevator should give one a picture of what type of facilities the hotel got to offer. I found out that the non smoking floor occupied 6-12th floor while the smoking floor occupied higher up, hence better view, I reckon.

The corridor leading to my room.......... Room 715

The room is spacious and comfortable. By the way, the room rate is RM150 (corporate rate). Used to be RM125 in my last visit 3 years ago.

The toilet is also spacious and I am impressed

Interestingly, there is a guide at the bathroom's door knob on how to open it in case one locked the door accidentally. I know this trick since I was a kid. Screwdriver will work fine as well.

I am glad they gave me a nice view. I had the same view in my last visit. I really enjoy these views

I really enjoy sitting on the chair and admire the Komtar building

Taxis are easily available at this hotel as there is a taxi stand outside the hotel. I notice there is even taxi on standby early in the morning.

Cafe Tropics at the lobby area is the main restaurant of this hotel and where the guests go for breakfast.

The breakfast is satisfactory for a 4 star hotel. The food choices live up to my expectation.

This is the welcoming drink from the earlier coupon. It's just orange juice.

I had a Chicken Burger (RM13) at Cafe Tropics late one night as the hawker food nearby failed to fill me up. The food is nice and the service is satisfactory.

There I met a waiter called Joe who we had a good chat. He introduce new restaurants nearby and some places of interest around Penang. I not sure whether this nice lad is still around as he told me that he plan to switch job.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hotel looks good and you got a great view of Penang city area! I love Penang, it's still the best place in M'sia to visit!

TZ said...

Dude, did you try the duck rice near the Sunway Hotel Georgetown... it's located @ the New Lane hawker area... Yummy!

Johnny Ong said...

if not mistaken, it was formerly a shangri-la hotel

Borneo Falcon said...

Yes, tried the duck rice at the hawker street. In fact all the food taste nice there

Penang is indeed a nice place to travel. Most of my visit to Penang are business trip. Hardly a decent time for sight seeing.

I not sure about Shangri-la but former Shangri-la nearby KOMTAR had been converted to Traders Hotel

TNH said...

never been to Penang.The view really look good..must pay a visit someday...

Kikey Loo said...

how many u travel in Penang?

escape said...

wow! i like the komtar building.

this post actually makes us feel like we were really with you.

amycheah said...

Sunway Hotel is Sunway Hotel. You are right Borneo Falcon, Shangri-La is converted to Traders Hotel now.

Oh yah, did u manage to try out the food in New Lane (the hawker center)? Well, you should try out as much as food in Penang as Penang is famous with its food...agree?

Hope you have a wonderful trip in Penang.

amycheah said...

And if you still have time, u should try to visit to those places that are not so "well-known" to tourist. I'm sure you will find those places more interesting! ha ha ...

Borneo Falcon said...

I have my dinner everyday at New Lane hawker stall during my stay. All are very nice.

Well, I walk around Georgetown a lot during my visit. Even walk until Fort Cornwalis. It was a nice walk admiring the buildings and structures along the way

EJ said...

Oh wow, what a thorough and detailed description man.. It looks nice too!

Anonymous said...

very nice place to stay while having a vacation...

Anonymous said...

i love the way you describe it, very detailed.. In fairness, the ambiance looks super deluxe!

Ciela said...

Hey, I did enjoy touring the place with you.(LOL) I feel like I was there with you personally as the photos you posted are so vividly clear!

Take care!

eunice said...

very good hor! u always stay in nice hotels! Once I stayed in Berjaya Timesquare hotel in KL on the 24th floor and I can see the prison. That hotel suite bedroom is all glass, very nice too. But our friends staying in another room had very unpleasant experience. It was haunted!!