Tuesday, May 12, 2009

London


London is probably by far Europe's biggest city, spreading about 1500 square kilometres from its core on the River Thames.

Piccadily Circus could be easily identified with the colossal neon advertisements.

Trafalgar Square is dominated by Nelson's Column, a vast pillar surmounted by a statue of Admiral Horatio Nelson, who died in the defeat of the French navy at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Four lions statue guard the column's base.

Current monarchical tradition is displayed at the Horse Guards. Mounted sentries of the Queen's Life Guard are posted daily here from 10am to 4pm, after which they are replaced by horseless guard

The Big Ben actually derives from the name of its main bell is a prominent landmark in London. The House of Parlianment is attached to the clock tower.

Buckingham Palace is the official monarch's permanent residence since the accession of Queen Victoria.

The imposing Admiralty Arch, built in 1910 as the eastern half of a memorial to Queen Victoria is just in front of the Buckingham Palace.

St. James's Park which is just a stone throw away from the Admiralty Arch provide an inner city reserve for wildfowl and a recreation area

The twin towers of Tower Bridge across River Thames, built in the 1880s

St. Paul's Cathedral

Standing in a dry dock next to Greenwich pier is the Cutty Sark (last time I heard in the news, it was burned down due to accident), one of the last of the clippers, sail powered cargo vessels built for speed and used on long distance routes bringing wool, tea and other produce to London from the far flung corners of the Empire

Chinatown is the place to look for cheap and value for money food in London.

The best way to travel around London is to use its efficient underground system. I usually opt of Zone 1 & 2 all day. The reason for it is because most attractions are located at Zone 1 & 2. This ticket will enable the holder to travel within Zone 1 & 2 without limit for the whole day.

The ticket used to cost GBP 3.50 back in 1998, then increased to GBP 3.80 in 1999. In my final year in England, the ticket cost GBP3.90 in 2000.

The tube system is divided to 6 zones. I reckon most tourists will be travelling around Zone 1 and 2 only

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics bro. Guess it's taken a while ago?

JL said...

I'm quite interested by the fact that the ticket for the tube increased so fast over 3 years. 10 to 20 cents per year is just LOL.

Kikey Loo said...

my house at zone 3, so i buy day travel card, cost £5.00. Include national rail, tube, buses..

Superman said...

I hope I will have a chance to go there. But it is too expensive.

foongpc said...

Yeah, like Superman, I wish I can go there too. But currently too expensive for me!

Ciela said...

Been to London too... in my dreams! ha ha ha! Why were you in London? For studies?

Borneo Falcon said...

I studied in England before. Went to London for traveling.

pusangkalye said...

when I was young ---I keep singing LONDON BRIDGE IS FALLING DOWN.....FALLING DOWN-----I hope someday I can see this place in person..... you are lucky