Thursday, November 5, 2009

1919 Restaurant & Gallery

In our recent visit to Ipoh, my sister took us to 1919 Restaurant & Gallery for dinner. It is located at Jalan Medan Ipoh 6 with Tesco as the nearest landmark.

I have no idea why they add the word "Gallery" to the name but the availability of antiques display around the restaurant are pretty much self explanatory. It feels like a mini museum here.

The interior is pretty cozy. Interestingly, the restaurant use those marble tables and old wooden chairs design to give a feel of the old kopitiam.

Even the tea drinking cup is rather unique

Curry fish head and spinach. Thumbs up for the curry. It has a distinctive taste which I can't find anywhere else.

Antique tofu is regarded as one of the specialty here. Sea cucumbers are stuffed inside the tofu.

I believe this is the King Sauce Chicken. It has a combination of sweet, sour and spicy falvour to it.

This is my favourite dish here, one of the restaurant signature dish, the white brinjal (eggplant). This is the first time I come across this kind of dish and it tastes really great and crispy.

However, the food here don't come cheap. I don't know the total damage that night but it was around RM100++.

9 comments:

Henry Lee said...

The King Sauce Chicken looks delicious... oh no.. gonna go for supper now.. :(

SJB aka SUELYN J-B. said...

Oh my my... lot of food here. Very interesting.

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Bah...unik / klasik juga tmpt tu bah.

ChrisAu said...

Never been to this place though Im Ipoh born. You know Ipoh better than me! hahaha

Superman said...

The place is unique. But for the price of RM100++ for all the foods, i think it is ok.

pusangkalye said...

I noticed that there are a lot of old stuffs in the photos you feature like that electric fan. It would qualify for a spot in museum you know--hehe

escape said...

oh! first heard of a restaurant and a mini museum in one. great!

Ciela said...

The Antique Tofu looks yummy. I wish I could taste them.

Btw,we plan to visit KK. Can you suggest places to see?

Reanaclaire said...

yes, 1919 is not cheap..in fact expensive..but the food there is quite exclusive and comes in small portions too..!