Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Floating Port

Sometime ago my crew came across this rather peculiar structure in the middle of the ocean. Special thanks for Tan Tiong Kee for the photos.

At first I can't believe my eyes when I saw this photos. I thought what in hell is the crane doing in the middle of the ocean? This is a container crane which normally can be found in the container port.

On closer inspection, apparently the crane is built on a barge and tugged by a tugboat. I never thought I will see this day. Obviously the operator of this tug want to minimize the operation cost and hence built a container crane at the barge. Hence, they can discharge or load container to the barge without using the port's crane facility, meaning they save some port charges.

I seen a lot of strange design in marine industry but this definitely takes the cake. Pretty creative and resourceful I have to say.

3 comments:

Kuching Remisier Blog said...

wah weird things. hahaha..

Johnny Ong said...

gwfwrwait till u see how they transport an oil platform from onshore to offshore

shawnn loo said...

It cool... I always wish to go JB!! haha