Saturday, August 2, 2008

Collapsing Houses

I came across a news about a collapsing houses from a newspaper (The Borneo Post) on the 23rd July, reporting that a row of houses collapsed due to sinking foundation. The incident took place on the 22nd July.

So, I took the liberty to see the scene with my own eye. I cycled to the scene, which is along Kapor Road, Lane 6.

I got a shock of my life when I am about to arrive at the scene. The foundation is indeed sinking!


The structure either collapsed, slanted or cracked, making it unfit for occupation. The residents had been evacuated on the day of the incident. Some walls and roofs had fallen while the floors and other walls have slanted.

These houses were built on peat soil long time ago. The collapsed is believed to have occurred at the second unit on the row eight houses. This is believed to have pulled down the rest of the terraced houses on the same row in a cave in effect.

I plan to enter one of the houses (although it had been cordoned) to have a closer look. However without any safety gear, it will be suicidal. Besides, one will never know when the structure will crumble and it might collapse at any time. I will not want to end up as human splat.

6 comments:

Falcon said...

hello bro..long time no see...really sinking house lah...cool

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! that looks sad... i really feel bad when these things happen.

Johnny Ong said...

feel sad for those unfortunate house owners

cc said...

I really feel for those home owners, loosing your home is truly devastating.
It's good thing that you chose not to enter.

13th Panda said...

so did the developer compensate?I feel awful for the house owners..its their home.. and now..

Borneo Falcon said...

No compensation so far. The developers ran away decades ago and the houses do not have Occupation Certificate (OC)