After following the World Cup matches so far, the tournament has entered the semi final stage with only 4 teams left. My verdict for the winner in the 2010 edition would be Uruguay due to a few factors and historical facts:
- Spain: No team ever won the World Cup by losing their first match. Hence, by losing their opening match against Switzerland, Spain might not win this edition.
- Netherlands: I believe previous winners will still win the tournament again. Spain and Netherlands have never lifted the trophy despite few near misses in the past.
- Germany: No European countries ever won the prestigious cup away from the European soil. Hence, Germany, Netherlands and Spain are not likely to re-write the history.
- Uruguay: 2 historical facts are on their side. They are previous winner of the cup and the only non-European team left in the tournament.
- Defence: In the past, teams with good defending will eventually be the winner (although the Swiss bowed out in the past even without conceding a goal). All 4 teams have that quality and it will be interesting how they fare in the remaining matches.
- Constintency: It only takes 7 matches to win the tournament. So far only Uruguay and Netherlands are unbeaten
Should any European win this edition, the history of the World Cup will surely be re-written. With this facts in mind, my pick in this edition will be URUGUAY.