Dutch Graveyard is another historical site in Malacca. It is located at a secluded corner at the foot of St. Paul's Hill and one will need to be adventurous enough to spot its location.
This graveyard was first used at the last quarter of the 17th century. Presently 5 Dutch and 33 British graves are sited within its compound. This cemetery was used in two stages that is between 1670-1682 (by the Dutch) and later between 1818-1838 (by the British).
When the British took over Malacca in 1795, they initially used St. Paul's Hill as their burial ground (and still visible until this very day nearby St. Paul's Church) and only in 1818 did they began to make use of this cemetery. The first British person to be buried here was Captain John Kidd, Captain of a ship while the last British person to be buried was the wife of a British army officer in 1838.
Most of the British buried here were army or naval personnel. A number of wives of army officers were also buried here.
The grave that attracts the attention of most visitors is the one that has a tall column on it in which two army officers, who were killed during the war between the British and Naning in the interior of Malacca in 1831 and 1832, were buried.
This is the plan layout of the grave and the complete name list of the British who were laid to rest here.